Self-care is a term that has become widespread in recent years. It is defined as the act of caring for oneself, of having a kind and nurturing attitude toward oneself, typically by incorporating some form of intimate care into one's daily schedule. It could be anything from choosing to intake nourishing food to going for a walk, to spending time with friends and family, to spiritual practice, or spending time alone. These actions can change and be adjusted according to our needs. The importance of self-care cannot be overstated, it has a huge impact on one's life. By creating a self-care list you will be able to track if you are taking care of yourself, and make sure your needs are met because the list will be tailored just for you!
How to create your list
It is important to take care of yourself and do the things you enjoy and need, starting today. Think about what self-care means for you and what are your needs, and what fuels you. You can make a list of the things you do for yourself to feel good and restored, and you can make a list of things that sound fun to try to feel energized and motivated. Like, it is important to get out and socialize with friends, watch a movie, go out dancing, listen to music, read a book or spend time alone.
Self-care is a list of activities that you do to take care of yourself. It includes things like sleeping, eating well, exercising, spending time with friends and family, or even something as simple as taking a bath.
Your self-care list should be personalized to your needs. You can add or remove items from your list depending on what you need most at that time. It is important to use your self-care list when you are feeling stressed or overwhelmed so that it can help you feel more balanced again.
Here, some easy ideas for a self-care list, that you can put into practice today. In the beginning, if you miss one day or two don't beat yourself up, be kind to yourself and trust the process, just get back to it once you can. Another tip, keep your list anywhere convenient or visible.
Self-care list ideas
- Improving sleep - Sleep is the cornerstone of well-being. A consistent sleep routine, exposure to daylight, and avoiding the intake of caffeine late afternoon are good steps towards restoring sleep at night.
- Drinking water - Keeping hydrated can have a huge impact on our well-being, for instance, it affects mood and concentration. Keep a reusable bottle of water nearby to ensure you have your daily intake of water.
- Eat healthy meals - I know this sounds basic but how many times have you ditched a good healthy meal for something more convenient and unhealthy? Vegetables and fruits have important nutrients and minerals that are important to our bodies, the lack of these nutrients and minerals can, for example, weaken the hair, and skin, among other factors. Eating healthy will also boost the immunity system.
- Exercise - Simply put, our bodies are not made to sit all day long! Move your body, choose a physical activity you like, and do it 3 to 5 days per week least. Be careful not to push too hard as it can be harmful.
- Go for a walk - This activity is great for the body and mind, it's a great way to relax and clear the head, and it is often underestimated. Going for a walk on a daily basis would be ideal, and if you can walk in nature for greater benefit.
- Exposure to daylight - Exposing ourselves to daylight has plenty of benefits, it signals our body that we are awake, it helps with a good night's sleep, and it's a great way to get vitamin B and improve mood.
- Take a relaxing shower or bath - Choose a day of the week to unwind with a nice, warm shower. It's best at nighttime, or late afternoon since it's meant to relax.
- Set boundaries - If you have a hard time setting boundaries this point is for you. Make sure you reflect on your boundaries and on how to communicate them. A thing to have in mind, this is a process, some things don't change overnight.
- Set leisure time - When we are feeling overwhelmed with life responsibilities we tend to neglect leisure time, so it's a great point to add to any list. Leisure time can be spent alone or in good company.
- Set time for yourself - Make sure to have some time for yourself, time to be alone, not lonely, and do whatever it feels right for you.
Taking care of oneself is essential for mental and physical health. It's also important for our productivity and our relationships with others. Self-care it's about making time for yourself so you feel balanced, energized, and ready to take on life's challenges. It may seem like self-care is all about you, but it has an impact on everyone around you too.